Do you find buying shampoo a bit confusing? In the market, you will come across shampoos which are smoothing, thickening, color-safe, strengthening, and hydrating. Choosing one shampoo which will be most effective for all the hair-related issues can be difficult. That being said, when one finds a shampoo that truly enhances the condition of their hair, then it seems like winning a jackpot.
If you know what to look for in a shampoo, buying a shampoo won’t be time-consuming anymore. In this article, we will explain how to choose the best shampoo for your hair type.
Define Your Scalp Type
Most people use shampoo just as a cleansing agent. However, the shampoo we use makes the main difference in the way our hair looks. You need to consider the scalp type before choosing a shampoo. There are different ingredients and chemicals in shampoo, and thus, choosing one which doesn’t damage the hair is important. Certain shampoos might damage the dry scalp and improve the condition of the oily scalp.
Shampoos are mainly designed to cleanse the roots of the hair. Thus, if you have oily roots, choosing a moisturizing shampoo won’t be the ideal decision. You should pick a drugstore shampoo for oily hair since it has cleansing properties. On the flip side, a person with a drier scalp should find moisturizing and deep conditioning shampoos. Let’s discuss how to find the scalp type.
How to Find the Scalp Type?
People, who find their scalp itchy or tight after washing, usually have a dry scalp. If you have shinier hair that is prone to dandruff, then chances are the scalp is oily. Some people find that their dry hair turns oily after 2-3 days of shampooing. They have a combination scalp.
You might not be aware that shampoo is created for the scalp and roots, while hair conditioners are used to moisturize the ends of hair strands. Most people deal with oily scalp and dry ends of hair strands. If you get confused, then pick a shampoo, particularly for the oily scalp. Conditioners can treat the dry ends of hair strands effectively.
Shampoos for Keratin Treated Hair
Since you have spent lots of money to get shiny and smooth-looking hair, use a shampoo that makes the shine last longer. You should not invest money in shampoos that contain ingredients that can dissolve the keratin.
Avoid stripping the hair’s special treatment shampoos by using shampoos with harsh ingredients. You should use the best shampoo for keratin-treated hair, which can extend the shine and smoothness.
Shampoos for Oily Scalps
People, who have an oily or greasy scalp, end up trying dozens of shampoos on hair in an attempt to find which one suits the hair type. Here is what you should look for in a shampoo and avoid using products that can damage the hair.
- Always avoid hair products that are moisturizing, soothing, and hydrating. These products can add more moisture to the already greasy scalp.
- Choose non-moisturizing shampoos which mention strengthening and balancing. These products will be best for you since they remove excess oil from the scalp.
- If your scalp is super-oily, choose a clarifying shampoo. However, be cautious and don’t overuse shampoo. Most people with oily scalp end up drying out their scalp due to overuse.
- Try using two different shampoos to wash the hair every week. Both these shampoos can target different hair problems. One of the shampoos should be used to address oily scalp. Another shampoo should wash the roots.
- A person with an oily scalp should leave the shampoo on the hair for at least 5 minutes to not remain greasy.
We hope you now understand how to choose the best shampoo according to the type of hair. You should ensure that the hair quality doesn’t worsen after using the shampoo. People with colored hair should use shampoos which are particularly made for colored hair.